Public utilities throughout Colorado recognize the value of solar energy. Given the benefits to customers and the power grid, many utilities have begun offering incentives for homeowners to install solar panels.
One community that is encouraging customers to go solar is Fort Collins. In addition to offering rebates on solar panels, Fort Collins Utilities provides detailed information on how much customers can save on their monthly electric bills when they make the switch.
Rebates on Fort Collins Solar Panel Systems
Depending on where you live, your initial investment in a solar energy system may be partially offset by rebates and other incentives from public utilities. Fort Collins Utilities, for example, offers customers a rebate of up to $1,500 for installation of a solar photovoltaic system.
To qualify for the solar rebate from Fort Collins Utilities, you must work with a Participating Solar Contractor. Other requirements to be eligible for the rebate include:
- The solar panel system must generate at least 4,100 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity per year
- The output of the solar panel system must be greater than 500 watts but “less than the capacity to provide 120 percent of average annual energy use over the previous 24 months.”
- The solar panel system must meet standards for interconnection with the Fort Collins Utilities power grid
- Solar panels and other equipment must be new, certified by Underwriters Laboratories (UL), and appear on the Solar Equipment Lists
- No shading of solar panels during peak sun hours (defined by Fort Collins Utilities as 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
- Ongoing management of trees and other obstacles that limit solar panel exposure during peak sun hours
Fort Collins Utilities also requires customers to get a home energy audit if their house was built prior to 2005.
How Will Solar Panels Affect My Electric Bill?
The savings from solar are twofold:
- The solar panels generate energy for your home, reducing the amount of power you use from the grid
- Fort Collins Utilities records the energy your solar power system generates beyond your household usage and credits it to your monthly bill
Fort Collins Utilities uses a time-of-day pricing model. The price for energy use during on-peak hours (the times of day when demand for energy is the greatest) is higher than during off-peak hours. On-peak hours during the summer months (May 1 through September 30) are 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays.
You save on your bill with solar when you contribute back to the grid, especially during on-peak hours. According to Fort Collins Utilities, the solar credit for surplus energy during on-peak hours in the summer is nearly $.25 per kWh, while the solar credit for off-peak hours in the summer is nearly $.07 per kWh.
Several factors can affect your savings with solar power, including:
- Your energy use – how much and when
- The size and capacity of your solar panel system
- The positioning of your solar panels
- How your home is heated – if your home has all-electric heating, your energy use may be greater BUT any surplus electricity you generate results in a higher credit
If your solar panel system has a battery component, one strategy to maximize the savings on your electric bill is to “bank” energy during off-peak hours and then use the battery power during on-peak hours. Not only will this reduce your usage during on-peak hours, but you will get the highest credit for the power you send back to the grid.
Why Choose REenergizeCO for Your Solar Panel System
REenergizeCO is recognized as a Participating Solar Contractor by Fort Collins Utilities. We handle the sale, design, and installation of solar photovoltaic panels for homeowners in Fort Collins and the nearby areas.
Our solar crew team has extensive experience optimizing the placement of solar panels for maximum efficiency and installing and wiring them for safe and effective powering of your home. We are courteous, professional, and pride ourselves on doing the job right.
If you need a home energy audit before you decide on solar panels, we do that, too! Our BPI-certified home energy auditors are well-versed in the principles of building science. We examine multiple aspects of your home and use advanced technology to identify problem areas. The audit can identify a number of possibilities for home energy upgrades.
Contact Our Fort Collins Solar Panel Experts Today
When you are considering an investment in superior home energy, it is important to go with a team you can trust. REenergizeCO has helped hundreds of homeowners in Larimer County achieve energy independence with solar panels systems. Read our reviews to see why customers rate us highly for helping them achieve a more comfortable home and savings on their electric bill.
We are here to answer any questions homeowners may have about home insulation, energy audits, and solar power.Contact Us