What to Look For in a Home Insulation Company
The hottest days of summer are almost here. Although most people think about the insulation needs of their homes in fall and winter, a well-insulated home is also crucial for staying comfortable and saving on energy when the weather is warm.
Colorado weather varies significantly from season to season and even day to day Whether you are thinking about retrofitting your insulation to be ready for summer or considering the long-term value of upgraded insulation for the value of your home, it is important to choose an experienced, reputable home insulation company.
REenergizeCO can provide you with knowledgeable guidance on your choices for home insulation. Contact us in Denver, Fort Collins, and the Front Range to learn more!
Why Is Insulation Important in the Summer?
When it’s cold outside, insulation blocks external cold air and prevents the warm air from escaping your home. In the summer, insulation prevents warm air from entering your home while keeping cool air inside. No matter the season, insulation plays a crucial role in keeping your home comfortable and your energy bill manageable.
Unfortunately, some homes aren’t built with sufficient insulation to resist the transfer of hot and cold air. And, in older homes, previously installed insulation degrades over time, resulting in less efficient heating and cooling.
It is important to choose a home insulation company that knows the science behind cooling and heating your home. The team members you talk to should be able to provide insights on the parts of your home where you lose cool air and gain heat in summer (or vice-versa in winter).
For example, homebuilders and homeowners alike often ignore the attic when thinking about insulation needs. However, considering it’s the highest point of the house and the sun beats directly on it for the majority of the day, attic insulation is essential for keeping unwanted heat out of your home.
If you don’t have an attic, the same is true for the roof and ceilings of your house (especially on the top floor), as well as the insulation in your garage.
The home insulation company you choose should identify the areas of your home that would benefit from additional or upgraded insulation. Most homeowners can’t afford to retrofit all of the insulation in their home, so it is important for the company to help you develop a plan that fits your budget.
Choosing the Right Company for Home Insulation
Homeowners who get multiple quotes and shop around are generally more satisfied with the process and results of their home insulation improvements. Each interaction the company has with a potential customer is an opportunity to demonstrate the quality of their service. If you leave each conversation feeling more informed and well-disposed toward the company, you have probably found a quality choice for your insulation needs!
Hiring a professional for home insulation may be intimidating for those with limited experience, so here are a few qualities to look for in a company:
- Knowledge: One of the biggest reasons to hire a professional company is the insight they can provide. Most homeowners tend to think of just a few rooms that get too hot or too cold, whereas home energy professionals take the comfort and efficiency of your entire house into account.
- Testing: A home energy audit is the first step in identifying the areas of your house that will benefit from new or retrofitted insulation. Experienced energy auditors have education and training in building science principles that can help you save money on your energy bill and improve the efficiency of your home.
- Materials: Today’s insulation comes in many different forms. Choosing the right one for your home will be made much easier when you enlist qualified professionals who can explore the various options and find the optimal solution for your needs.
- Experienced crew: Although homeowners have the option to install insulation themselves, professional crew members should have the skill and experience to handle larger jobs capably, efficiently, and courteously.
- Affordable pricing: No one has an unlimited budget for home repairs and improvements. When you interview a home insulation company, ask for transparent pricing to see if they fit within your budget. If the company is stingy or vague with this information, you may want to look elsewhere.
If old insulation needs to be removed before installation or retrofitting, it is important to call a professional. Old insulation may contain mold and hazardous materials. In addition, you can’t simply throw out insulation with the regular garbage.
Insulation removal may be a key part of optimizing how hot and cold air moves through your house at any time of year. When you hire a company to handle this crucial step, make sure they have the right training and certification to remove insulation and dispose of it properly.
Put REenergizeCO to the Test
With the many choices homeowners have to make in selecting a home insulation company, it is important to gather all of the information you need to feel confident in your decision. As you make calls and get quotes, also be sure to read reviews and see what other customers have to say about their experience.
Experience, quality materials, and competitive pricing only mean so much if the people are not a good fit. At REenergizeCO, our capable people are what set us apart from the competition. From our office staff to each member of our efficiency crew, we focus on your individual needs and goals for a more comfortable and efficient home.
For more about our home insulation and other energy services, please contact REenergizeCO today. We serve homeowners in Denver, Fort Collins, and throughout the Front Range.